How to Stop Turf from Melting?
Your artificial turf is melting, and you don't know how to fix it. Well, don't sweat it, we have a solution for you!
What causes artificial grass to melt?
Artificial grass has a melting point of 168 degrees. Now, this is more than reasonable if under normal conditions, but if you have high-performance windows (low-E), they will cause the melting of turf.
What type of windows melts artificial turf?
Low-E window reflections cause turf to melt. However, there is a specific set of low E coatings that are more damaging than others.
- Low-E - Triple Silver soft coated glass (green color windows) causes turf to melt the fastest. This type of glass coating is the most common type of glass that causes grass to melt.
- Low-E - Double Silver soft coated glass (purple color windows) cause turf to melt but may take 1-2 hours to notice the impact on grass. This type of glass coating is the second most common glass type that melts turf.
- Low-E - Single Silver soft coated glass (purple color windows) cause turf to melt in 3-4 hours to notice the impact on grass. This type of glass coating is the least common to burn lawn as the time it takes to melt is longer but can be noticed over 2-3 weeks.
How to protect turf from melting?
Window film and Solar Screens are the most popular ways to protect your artificial grass from melting.
Here are a few ways to protect your artificial turf:
- Turf Shield WIndow film - This is a perforated window film that has been UV coated and is intended for exterior use. Turf Shield Window Film is specifically designed to refract light and reduce solar heat reflection. This film comes three variations.
- Clear - Turf Shield Clear is a great solution and works to prevent artificial turf melting; it is blurry when looking through the film, especially when your look from the inside of the home or office to the outside.
- White - Turf Shield White window film has a black adhesive side, which provides better clarity that a transparent window film for turf. This is an ideal choice for those looking to reduce heat, stop grass from melting, and gain daytime privacy while maintaining interior visibility.
- Black - Turf Shield Black is the best of both white and clear. Black window film for turf looks like a screen and has a black adhesive side, it works well and is hardly noticeable by those unaware of it. It provides excellent interior clarity and stops turf from melting.
- Solar Screens - solar screens are usually installed by window cleaning companies. They can be expensive and requires the whole window covering.
Window Film for turf is possibly the best way to prevent the turf from melting. Adding window film to your window is a do-it-yourself solution that requires little to no tools.
Solar screens are also an effective way to prevent the turf from melting but can cost a bit more and require professional installation.
If you are looking for a sure way to protect your artificial grass from melting, consider these two options.
Turf Shield Window film (Black)